Have you ever wondered, “Are my prayers really being heard?” I know I did early on in my marriage. One day in my quiet time, I realized that if I prayed God’s Word back to Him, then I would know for certain that I was praying according to His will! As I read through the Scriptures, I would see a verse and say, “Oh that is what I need to pray for my husband today.” I would pray the passage for Him and later on, as we had kids, I began doing this for them as well. It brought me a real peace to know that I was praying according to God’s will, and He was answering them, too!
The Lord brought a book by Stormie Omartian called The Power of a Praying Wife to my attention. This book is awesome! She not only shares her testimony of getting totally fed up with her husband and also of learning to pray for him, but she cites Scriptures and shares her prayers for each area of a husband’s life. There are too many areas to list them all, but just to give you an idea, she deals with: his work, his finances, his sexuality, his affection, his temptations, his mind, and his purpose. I share an example of the prayers and Scriptures below.
This one is for your husband’s Faith.
Lord, I pray that You will give (husband’s name) an added measure of faith today.
- Enlarge his ability to believe in you, Your Word, Your promises, Your ways, and Your power.
- Put a longing in His heart to talk with You and hear Your voice.
- Give him an understanding of what it means to bask in Your presence and not just ask for things.
- May he seek You, rely totally upon You, be led by You, put You first, and acknowledge You in everything he does.
- Lord, You’ve said that “faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God” (Romans 10:17).
- Feed his soul with Your Word so his faith grows big enough to believe that with you all things are possible (Matthew 19:26).
- Give him unfailing certainty that what You’ve promised to do, You will do (Romans 4:21). Make his faith a shield of protection.
- Put it into action to move the mountains in his life. Your Word says, “the just shall live by faith” (Romans 1:17). I pray that he will live the kind of faith-filled life You’ve called us all to experience.
- May he know with complete certainty “how great is Your goodness, which You have laid up for those who fear You, which You have prepared for those who trust in You” (Psalm 31:19).
So she has done most of the digging into Scriptures and all you have to do is pick the areas where your husband needs prayer and pray that prayer. I pray through the book and then start over because she brings up many things that I hadn’t even though to pray!
She also has written a book on The Power of a Praying Parent and another on The Power of a Praying Woman which is prayers for yourself! These books have given me power in my prayers that I never had before, all because I know I am praying God’s Word!